Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Narrative #2


As soon as Auntie informed us that she was done taking pictures, Mother’s happy expression instantly turned into one of anger and frustration. “Can’t you kids smile for just one minute?” she hissed to me and my little sister through clenched teeth. I looked over at my sister, and she returned my expression of anguish.
“Sorry, Mother,” Lucy whispered, letting her head drop.
“Well, just remember to smile when we get there. We don’t want anyone thinking we aren’t a happy family.” From where I was sitting, I could see my daddy’s hands tighten around the steering wheel.
Now knowing that my daddy was angry about this too, I blurted, “Why do we have to go to this? We never had to do anything like this before!”
“We’re in a new town now, and we don’t want to make a bad first impression, so stop complaining!” Mother snapped, causing me to slouch down in my seat and not say another word.
Mother had not always been like this. She used to be fun, nice, and she would smile all the time, not just for Auntie’s pictures. Moving to a brand new town changed her; she just wanted to fit in with all the other families in the neighborhood. When our neighbor invited us to the town’s annual End of the Summer Cookout, she was so excited. She called up Auntie right away to tell her the good news, since Mother and Auntie are pretty much the same person. I think that’s why Auntie wanted to take so many pictures.
My daddy has changed too. He was the best daddy anyone could ask for. He would always help me whenever I needed anything, and he was just such a fun person. Now he’s very quiet and keeps to himself most of the time. I think he’s a little bit afraid that he’ll upset Mother if he tries to be himself in this town.
Lucy is just sad most of the time. I think she doesn’t like having to leave all of her friends behind. She’s been hanging around me a lot for the past week. It’s nice to have some company, since I’m pretty lonely too, but she’s starting to get annoying.
I don’t like this new town. I don’t like the fact that my family is changing. I wish Mother wouldn’t try so hard to impress these new people, and I wish that my daddy would say something, since I know that he can. I wish Lucy would make some new friends, so she wouldn’t be hanging around me so much. Maybe I could say something, but I’ll be like my daddy and keep quiet so Mother will be happy.
We pulled up to the town’s park in about ten minutes. Mother sighed then put on a smile, turning around to make sure me and Lucy were too. When she was confident that everyone looked happy, she opened her door and headed towards our neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment